Where Tatler shares its humor
Artwork by Hallie Anderson
It is no secret that St. Mary’s girls love their food; however, an incident in the freshman commons showed this love of food take a turn for the worse.
On the morning of January 14, 2020, a certain member of the freshman class distributed some cookie dough to two other freshman. She warned not to eat it raw because they could get sick, but by F2, almost the entire grade had had at least one piece of the cookie dough. By the end of lunch, students’ stomachs started hurting, people began feeling sick and a couple girls even went home. Despite early warning signs, almost all of the cookie dough was gone around the end of the day.
Eating raw cookie dough is, to many, tastier than eating actual cookies. Many of us have been making cookies and at least thought about trying it. In most cases, the outcome is not sickening, so we forget the dangers associated with it. This is why the freshman class had no worries about eating a few pieces.
But it was also towards the end of the day that the backstory was finally brought to the class’ attention. In September the cookie dough had been stored in a freezer “somewhere in the school.” It was not until the day before the incident that the student brought it to her house and put it in her refrigerator, not the freezer. She then decided it would be a good idea to bring the cookie dough to school the next morning. By the time it reached the mouths of some hungry freshman, the cookie dough was almost four months old and left out for the entire 8-hour day. As students began to figure this out, students feared they had salmonella.
“I only ate a little piece but after an hour my stomach started hurting and I didn’t know why. It was not until after that I realized that there was a connection to the cookie dough and my stomach ache,” said Sofia Jalenak (9).
Even though it was most likely that these students got sick simply because the cookie dough was just left out for too long and not because it was raw, we will never know for sure. Perhaps a salmonella outbreak was at hand?
However, what we do know is that the class of ‘23 has most definitely discovered that eating old, raw unrefrigerated cookie dough is not the healthiest choice. Shockingly, even though they have “learned” this lesson, multiple members of the freshman class have admitted that they will continue in their cookie dough eating habits.
“It made me question my faith in humanity and scrumptious treats. I expect that future run-ins with cookie dough will be difficult, but I will pull through with the help of my amazing class,” said Sophia Zafer (9).
For & By Students
Our website videos were made in partnership with St. Mary's video-making publication, Bella Vista.
Click on the author or artist's name to view more of her work!
HAVE AN ARTICLE IN MIND?